[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
The Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society • View topic - Nov. & Dec. Bonsai Confusion

Nov. & Dec. Bonsai Confusion

Caring for and stying your bonsai. Species specific questions answered here.

Nov. & Dec. Bonsai Confusion

Postby Allain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm

OK. I've got my trees where they need to be for the winter. Now I need some advice on black pines.

I want to do some severe pruning of trunks of some immature pines. Somewhat leggy and I want to remove a lot of trunk. Should I repot at the same time or should I do the potting now and wait until Jan. or Feb. for the trunk removal or just the reverse or do all now or all next year?? Whew. I've done all this before, but have no notes to help me and The Thing in 2005 killed all my trees. So nothing to help there.

Thanks

Roy
Allain

Re: Nov. & Dec. Bonsai Confusion

Postby Jim Osborne » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Roy,
This is a good time to do any heavy work on your black pine, such as branch removal ect. If you preform such work on your pine, then you do not want to also repot it at the same time. Only one insult to your tree at one time. Also your pine should be in good health before you do any type of heavy work. Remove branches and wire now, feed it to gain health, then if you must repot do it in Feb. of 2013. It really would be best to repot next fall should you go ahead with major work. So slow, take your time, feed your pine, and it will thank you and reward you healthy new growth that will allow you to continue to style and refine it.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Osborne
Zone 9
New Orleans,LA
Jim Osborne

Re: Nov. & Dec. Bonsai Confusion

Postby Allain » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks Jim. That is just what I thought I remembered??? I wanted to wait a full year before repotting, but I just didn't have my old notes. No longer, the (new) old notes are on this computer and in my flash drive and printed. Triple protection.

I potted up these trees this past spring, and wanted to do a severe cutting back, so it looks good to go.

I will also take photos and post progress. Someone may find them helpful.

Roy
Allain

Return to Care and Styling