[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead
The Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society • View topic - I'm Going Tornado Hunting In A Few Weeks

I'm Going Tornado Hunting In A Few Weeks

Caring for and stying your bonsai. Species specific questions answered here.

I'm Going Tornado Hunting In A Few Weeks

Postby BillsBayou » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Here's a photo I took last year. I know exactly where this tree is. It's a beast. I'm going to collect it in a few weeks. I'll post photos after I've extracted the tree.

IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1272.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Sorry, but I don't have any photos of the root base. IT'S UNDERWATER! I like the taper of this tree. It should develop nicely.

What really gets me about this tree is the visible twist of the trunk. This tree is loaded with character.

IMG_1272-2.jpg
IMG_1272-2.jpg (119.57 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Look at the cords of this trunk. Such definition! I'm thinking about letting this tree go for a year, then carving out every other cord with a chainsaw.

I'm thinking of bringing out a camcorder and making a how-to video of bald cypress collecting.
Bill Butler
Zone 9
New Orleans, Louisiana
BillsBayou

Re: I'm Going Tornado Hunting In A Few Weeks

Postby Mitch Thomas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey Bill
Do you want any company? Sure would like to go!

Mitch
Mitch Thomas Zone 9
Slidell Louisiana
Mitch Thomas

Postby BillsBayou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 pm

No problem, Mitch. It will most likely be the the first Saturday in February. I hit the swamps at 7am west of St. Rose. Weather permitting. I won't be out there if it is going to rain, or if the expected high for the day is lower than 45 degrees.

Be warned, I'm definitely going to be video taping this. So I might be an hour-and-a-half getting this one tree. I figure 30 minutes setting up the cameras and microphones, 20 minutes digging and explaining as I dig, and another half-hour getting the camera equipment put away. I've decided to make this kind of an instructional video.

Be sure to check my articles on the site where I explain what you should have when it comes to gear.
Bill Butler
Zone 9
New Orleans, Louisiana
BillsBayou

Postby Mitch Thomas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Hell yea
I'm ready to roll! Just let me know when and I'll be there! I have been chomping at the bit to do some collecting! Coming from a life long outdoors person I don't like fighting mother nature, low temps, rain is a no go fo dis guy!

Thanks Mitch
Mitch Thomas Zone 9
Slidell Louisiana
Mitch Thomas

Postby kaveman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm

[color=#408000]Bill
That tree looks like it has tremendous potential. BUT - if you collect it - please reconsider the craving you are thinking about doing. To do that type of carving to this tree would be a sacrilege! Nature has designed that base and I can't see your plan improving on it. I would only use that technique on a base with no character; one that needs improvement; or maybe one that already has some dead wood. Just my humble opinion. Kirk
[/color]
kaveman

Postby BillsBayou » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks, Kirk. I think you're right on that one.
Bill Butler
Zone 9
New Orleans, Louisiana
BillsBayou

Postby Jim Osborne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Wow,....I ddin't know that was your tree Bill,....I collected that very same tree two weeks ago,...I'll post pictures soon,...sorry,..I had no idea!
:o
Jim Osborne
Zone 9
New Orleans,LA
Jim Osborne

Postby BillsBayou » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm

No problem, Jim. I'll come by tonight after 1am to pick it up. No need to get up. I'll let myself in.
Bill Butler
Zone 9
New Orleans, Louisiana
BillsBayou

Postby BrianG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Incredable find. I'm very envious of you on this one. Looks like world class bald cypress material for sure. I totally agree with Kirk a 1,000% JMO. Can't wait to see the pic and videos. Good
Brian Gregoire
Zone 8
Ponchatoula, LA
BrianG

Return to Care and Styling